While a good skincare routine is at the heart of a beautiful, radiant complexion, it can often fall by the wayside during the hectic day-to-day schedule of a new mum, leaving many skin concerns unaddressed.
Fortunately, Ultraceuticals skin expert Tracey Beeby is here to offer some of her top tips for new mums this Mother’s Day.
Skin concern: Melasma
Melasma, which can manifest in darker patches of pigmentation, is not uncommon for new mums, whose oestrogen and progesterone levels are elevated during or post-pregnancy. Treating melasma can take time, so a course of treatments is recommended – you can book a skin consultation to find out more.
One of the first lines of defence to prevent melasma from worsening is sunscreen, particularly while undergoing treatment for hyperpigmentation. In addition, products containing potent topical antioxidants are vital to the health of skin cells and can provide further environmental protection. As melasma is a heat responsive pigment, it can be aggravated by high temperatures, making it important to minimise your sun exposure as much as possible.
- The Protective Daily Moisturiser Range provides broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays to help prevent the visible signs of premature ageing. Its non-greasy, non-whitening formulas contain a powerful blend of moisturising ingredients to provide the skin with vital hydration.
- Perfect for active mums on the go, the SunActive SPF 50+ range is a touch-dry sunscreen with a broad spectrum protection in a 4 hour, water-resistant formula.
- To target the darkness of melasma, the Ultra Brightening Range uses a unique complex of proven skin brighteners and exfoliants to promote luminosity and clarity.
- The Ultra A Skin Perfecting Range is designed to address the signs of ageing and hyperpigmentation. Formulated with Retinol, it can help to shift the pigmented cells to the surface, while also reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- The A-Zyme Peel contains active ingredients Retinol and Bromelain, and is designed to address skin concerns such as ageing, hyperpigmentation and acne.
- The radiance-boosting Ultra Brightening Accelerator Mask uses a powerful blend of eight skin brightening agents to rapidly reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, dark spots and blotchiness.
Skin concern: Adult acne
Fluctuations in hormones such as progesterone and oestrogen can lead to increased sebum production and clogged pores. The resulting acne can also be exacerbated by stress and sleepless nights, something many mums will be familiar with.
There are a number of ways in which to approach acne, however, it is important to not to ‘over treat’ the affected area with too many treatments or products as it may over stimulate the skin. Your Ultraceuticals skin technician will be able to advise you on the best course of action. It is important to avoid any ingredients containing Benzoyl Peroxide as it oxidises the oil, increasing the potential for bacteria to fester.
- To help treat adult acne, the Ultra Clear Range combines exfoliating Mandelic Acid and Salicylic Acid with soothing Vitamin E Phosphate, Allantoin and Aloe Vera. It targets acne at all stages of the cycle, helping to visibly improve breakouts, congestion and inflammation.
- The Ultra A Skin Perfecting Range is designed to help control excessive oil production that can trigger acne, while also refining the skin’s surface.
- Our Mandelic Acid Peel uses Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) to assist in decongesting and clarifying your skin, as well as controlling oil production. With Niacinamide and antioxidant Clove Oil, this peel is ideal for problematic and acne prone skin, resulting in a smoother, brighter and clearer complexion.
- An A-Zyme Peel effectively targets oil flow using Retinol and Bromelain, helping to clear blocked pores and refine the skin.
- Vita-Brasion Treatments (incorporating Microdermabrasion and Sonophoresis) provide deep exfoliation and infuse the skin with potent ingredients to assist in clearing the complexion. Consult your skin technician to see if this treatment is right for you.
Skin Concern: Flaky, dry skin
With the hormonal rollercoaster that takes place both during and after pregnancy, our skin’s lipid barrier can be compromised, resulting in moisture-starved patches on the face. To treat dry, flaky skin, a quality moisturiser that matches your skin type is key. These products help to restore epidermal skin cells for truly impressive moisturising results. Exfoliating is also vital to ensure dead skin cells are cleared, allowing your moisturiser to be more effectively absorbed into your skin. Pay extra attention to elbows, knees and feet.
- The Ultra Cleansing Range is designed to thoroughly cleanse the skin without compromising the lipid barrier. Free from Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES), the Ultra Cleansing Range helps to maintain the skin’s optimal moisture levels – vital for mums experiencing dry skin.
- For a moisturiser, turn to the Ultra Moisturiser Range. Available for all skin types, it helps to strengthen the lipid barrier function and support the skin’s Natural Moisturisation Factor (NMF) for long-lasting hydration.
- Our Ultra Signature facials are perfect for mums battling with dry skin. The hydrating skin treatment ensures the skin’s lipid barrier is healthy and fully repaired prior to a cosmetic treatment.
- Vita-Brasion and Hydro-Brasion treatments incorporate vitamin infusion technology to deliver potent anti-ageing ingredients while resurfacing and rehydrating the skin for a smooth, plump finish.
Skin Concern: Tired/ dull skin
Sleepless nights, exhaustion and not taking time out to eat properly or drink enough water can take its toll on even the best skin. Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to give your skin some TLC so that it can return to a more radiant, youthful state.
Hands-on pampering facials that include a massage not only help you to relax, but they also promote blood flow to the muscles and cells within the skin. In addition, exfoliating or microdermabrasion treatments are an excellent method of clearing away dead skin to reveal a more polished and glowing complexion.
- Treat yourself to one our Ultra Masks – target congestion with our Purifying Mask and dehydration with our Replenishing Mask, or give your skin an overall boost with our Energising Mask, formulated with Caffeine, Persian Silkwood extract and Witch Hazel.
- To minimise the appearance of dark circles under the eyes, try an Energising Mask or our Ultra A Perfecting Eye Cream.
- Our Vita-Repair Facial boosts your skin’s moisture levels to help repair stressed and dehydrated skin. Ultrasonic Infusion maximises absorption of the formula, which features Vitamin B2 technology (Provitamin B5 and Vitamin B3) to nourish the skin and plump up fine lines and wrinkles.
- The Vita-LIFT ACE Power Facial is an anti-ageing powerhouse treatment, focused on perfecting, firming, plumping the skin. Using Vitamin A and Vitamin C as well as AHAs, this treatment combines pure indulgence with total skin rejuvenation.