As our skin starts to age, we see two main concerns developing – loss of firmness and the development of fine lines and wrinkles. Loss of firmness or what is commonly referred to as ‘sagging’ of the skin, occurs naturally as we age. Fine lines or ‘expression lines’, form along the lines that are created when we smile or frown. As the skin thins and starts to age, fine lines become more prominent. Wrinkles are deeper lines in the face that occur over time, caused by the aging of the skin.
What causes premature skin aging?
Premature skin aging is influenced by both, intrinsic (internal) and extrinsic (external) factors that accumulate over a period of time. This leads to changes in the skin’s structure, function, and appearance. Intrinsic aging, also known as biological aging, is caused by factors that are mostly out of our control. Extrinsic aging, also known as environmental aging, is caused by external factors. Studies show that 80% of premature skin aging is attributed to environmental stressors that we can control such as UV radiation, smoking, air pollution, diet, stress, and sleep deprivation.
The main factor contributing to premature skin aging is exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun and is called photoaging.
As skin ages, it becomes thinner, drier (as less hyaluronic acid is produced in the skin), and less elastic, resulting in a loss of its youthful luster.
How to Maintain Healthy Skin Aging
- Ensure you wear a minimum of SPF 30 daily. Use an SPF 50+ when outdoors for long periods of time.
- Minimize your exposure to environmental stressors such as smoke and air pollution.
- Ensure you’re getting an adequate amount of sleep and eating a balanced healthy diet.
- Apply Vitamin C – it has been demonstrated that applying topical vitamin C assists the appearance of firmer, youthful-looking skin.
- Apply topical Vitamin A products to help provide more refined, plumper, youthful-looking skin.
- Book in for regular professional skin treatments that can help to smooth, plump, and retexturize the skin.
Key Ingredient Spotlight: Retinol
Retinol (Vitamin A) has been shown to help improve the visible signs of premature skin aging. It can help the skin look rejuvenated and renewed, and diminish the appearance of uneven skin tone.
Key Ingredients spotlight: Pure Vitamin C
The Ultra C Range helps the skin look firmer and more resilient. A blend of pure Vitamin C and complementary ingredients work to give the appearance of rejuvenated and renewed skin.
Pure Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid)
• Helps to reduce the appearance of premature skin aging
• Has antioxidant properties
• Firms & smooths
Did you know? Pure vitamin C is easily recognized and readily absorbed by the skin, compared to other derivatives and forms of vitamin C.
Shop products for fine lines & wrinkles
The Ultraceuticals range uses cosmeceutical-grade ingredients to address the key signs of aging including fine lines and wrinkles and loss of firmness.Shop Now